Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Welcome to Parenthood


As predicted in my previous post, I didn't blog again before the baby came. Maybe now that Sean is here I will have some inspiration for blogging. Sean is now 15 days old, and I can't believe how quickly it has gone by. Austin and I have had a blast taking pictures of him and just enjoying him at this stage. It will go by so quickly and we will never get this time back.
This is my favorite picture of Sean. Austin took it right after he was born and I think it is just the sweetest picture. I will have to pull it out when Sean is a teenager and I need to be reminded of a time when he was sweet and innocent and couldn't talk back.

So far Sean has been a really good baby, he is generally happy and sleeps pretty well. He does not like having his diaper changed or getting a bath, I am sure of that. I am looking forward to being able to sleep through the night again, but it will be a while before that happens. The sleep deprivation stuff is no fun, but I just have to take it one day at a time. When I have been getting up with Sean at night, I have been turning on the tv to keep me awake, and there is not much to pick from. I have seen more late night talk shows and news in the last two weeks than I have probably ever watched. Needless to say, I am glad that our shows have started back up and that we have a DVR.
I am really enjoying being a mom and seeing Austin come into his role as Sean's daddy. It is still hard to believe that we have a baby. You spend 9 months pregnant anticipating the birth of your baby and then the birth is over so fast (it doesn't feel fast at the time, but in retrospect, it seemed fast) and the baby is here. Then you spend the first week in a daze of exhaustion, excitement, and trying not to get peed on, spit up on, or pooped on. Thankfully, we have finally mastered keeping Sean in the same outfit for a whole day. For the first few days, it was like every few hours (or every diaper change) Sean was wearing a new outfit. I did a lot of laundry those days... It's amazing the little things you can get excited about or what can give you a feeling of accomplishment (like not getting peed on at a diaper change). Welcome to parenthood :)




5 comments:

  1. im so happy for you! sounds like you are such a natural :) he is adorable. we don't have cable right now so im glad you mentioned that issue with late night feedings... might be worth considering :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Claire! Yeah, we only have the network channels right now so there isn't much to pick from. It's just nice to have something to help keep you awake in the middle of the night. When is your baby due?

    ReplyDelete
  3. June 30th! Though I"m trying to think first week of July so I don't get my hopes up. Your little guy came a couple days early, though, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean came one day early, he was due on the 29th. I was so glad that he didn't come on my birthday or dad's birthday, I really wanted him to have his own day. I had hoped he would come before Christmas, and I tried every old wives tale to try to encourage that, but it didn't work. We will just eat birthday cake for 3 days in a row :) Are you going to go back to work next year or will you be able to stay home with the baby?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren- So happy for you guys. I want to hear more about your experiences as a new mother. So keep blogging! Can't wait to meet little Mr. Grigg!

    ReplyDelete