Monday, February 23, 2009

Downtown Community Fellowship

Lately I have been thinking a lot about DCF, our church in Clemson.  I went there for the two years that I lived in Clemson, and it was a big part of our life.  My time in Clemson was full of fun and excitement, being newly married and in college, but it was also a difficult time of change and trying to find my place.  I really struggled with who I was and being comfortable in myself.  In the time since leaving Clemson I feel like I have learned a lot about myself and really grown.  I have also realized what a unique thing I experienced in the community of DCF, and regret that I didn't embrace that opportunity at the time. 

Austin and I have a lot of memories and friends that came from DCF, and I don't know that we will ever find another church quite like it. Unfortunately, I don't think I really appreciated it for what it was when we were there.  It wasn't until after we left that I realized how much I loved the people there and the way we did church.  I really miss Winn's voice and his ability to speak with so much truth and passion. I loved that DCF celebrated and embraced art (even though I have no artistic talent myself).  I miss passing the peace and receiving communion  from those that I loved and admired.  I miss how DCF was not afraid to do things differently or try something new.  Most of all, I miss our house church and the people who were a part of it. 

When we moved back to Georgia we knew that we would not be able to find another church like DCF and finding a new church was a really hard decision for us.  We feel like we are definitely where we are supposed to be for now, but there are times that I long for the people and experiences of DCF.   

1 comment:

  1. You have disproved your own claim that you have no artistic talent with this honest expression of beautiful prose. The way you craft cakes and labor over fine cuisine is as much art as a painting or poem.

    I too miss DCF and the freedom and community we found there; thankfully, we can still enjoy the friendships birthed there.

    Keep writing, we need more honest voices in this world.

    Austin

    P.S. If this is all you've got, then dang, bring it on.

    ReplyDelete