Friday, July 29, 2011

Joshua Update

I'm not even sure where to start with this post. It's been a while since I have posted anything and a LOT has happened since. I was about 22 weeks along when I wrote the last post and now I am almost 32 weeks. We have had at about one doctor appointment a week since this all started, and will start having 2 appointments a week soon.

We saw a pediatric neurosurgeon several weeks ago and he was very positive about Joshua's condition. He felt like he would have the surgery, but had a good chance at a normal healthy life. This was the first time anyone had given us such a positive outlook. This doctor was highly recommended to us, and we both liked him and felt comfortable with him. We were so excited to get some good news, and this appointment was the first one where we felt like we could get some questions answered.

We have been seeing a perinatologist every 2-3 weeks to get ultrasounds and measure Joshua's progress. Joshua has been measuring small all along, particularly his abdomen and his head circumference. The doctor has also been checking all of his organs and brain development. It is amazing what he can see through the ultrasound. So far, all of his organs and brain development look normal which is a really good sign. A lot of times with an encephalocele there can be other problems present, but the fact that his other organs look so good is a really good sign. At our appointment today we got a really good report on his growth. He is within a more normal range, this was great news!

We are hoping and praying for the best, and trusting that God is in control. We can't wait to meet our little boy. It's only 7 weeks from today! I have a c-section scheduled for September 23rd. Joshua will have an MRI done within the first 24 hours to assess his situation and from there we will plan his surgery.

Joshua has been such a busy baby which has been so reassuring. I am ready for him to be here though and not beating on me from the inside out. I'm looking forward to holding him and introducing Sean to his little brother. 7 weeks feels like a long time sometimes and other times it feels like it is just around the corner. In just a couple of days we will be able to say "he will be here next month". That makes it feel soon.

1 comment:

  1. Just found this little gem of a blog and wanted you to know that our hearts and prayers are with you guys and with little Joshua. Much love and peace to you.

    ReplyDelete