Today is a very special day. It is a very special little girl's birthday. Skylar Marie Jones is turning 1. While this is an exciting event for most little kids, it is especially sweet for her. Skylar was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) early this year and was told she might not live to see her first birthday.
Her parents, Kyle and Ashley, are good friends from college and don't live too far from us. Kyle is Austin's climbing/camping/"anything his wife won't do with him" friend. Ashley and I went through our pregnancies together and really bonded over those experiences. She was 6 weeks ahead of me and was so encouraging to me during that time.
I remember the day she was born waiting to hear something from Ashley and being so excited for them. She and I had talked so much about when our babies would be here, and I couldn't wait to meet Skylar. Austin and I went to see them the day after she was born. It was so amazing holding her for the first time and watching as our friends became parents. She is a beautiful little girl and has touched so many people.
This last year has been really difficult for them, they have dealt with things that new parents should never even have to think about. I have seen their faith grow and their trust in God strengthened. I don't know how you would deal with a child this sick if you didn't have hope in God. Hope for eternity, where no one is sick or suffering, where Skylar will be healed and will be able to run and breathe all by herself.
There have been a lot of hard days, but today is a day to celebrate!! And tomorrow we get to go to her 1st birthday party to celebrate in style. Happy Birthday Skylar!!

aw this is so sweet. i will keep this family in my prayers.
ReplyDelete