Last night I got a phone call from my dad at 11:45 saying that their dog, Annie, was in labor. She was expecting puppies, but we didn't expect them till the middle of next week or so. I really wanted to be there when the puppies were born so I headed to their house around midnight. I got there just as the first puppy was being born.
Watching the puppies being born is such an amazing experience. They are so cute and so helpless, but Annie knows exactly what to do with them. It makes for a long night because you don't know how many puppies she will have. It is a little bit of a waiting and guessing game as to when it is all over. We thought she was done around 3. Mom had gotten her shower, and we had just gotten everything cleaned up and were ready to go to sleep, when Annie decided to push out two more puppies.
I had been joking that I was going to help "catch puppies", and I actually got to catch one. She had twins and had decided to have them standing up, so I literally caught the second one. I'm so glad I got to be there, although it was a long night. I got about an hour and a half of sleep. Thankfully it was a Friday night, so Austin watched Sean today so I could nap some. This is probably just a taste of what the fall will be like :-)


wow! what an amazing experience. they are so cute :)
ReplyDelete